We have a human rights approach to fashion and we understand our universal responsibility to respect all internationally recognized human rights. We support the principles contained in international conventions on Human Rights, including The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The International Labour Organization’s (ILO) Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, The ten principles of the United Nations Global Compact.
We are committed to supporting all international human rights by actively identifying and preventing human rights risks and by actively promoting human rights throughout the FREDERICK & SOPHIE company and its supply and/or value chain.
The FREDERICK & SOPHIE human rights policy is build on our philosophy that Fashion obliges to honorable, generous and responsible behavior. The FREDERICK & SOPHIE Human Rights Policy is not a static, but an ongoing due diligence process, recognizing that human rights risks may change over time as the company’s operations and operating context will evolve. We dedicate ourselves to adapting to the latest Human Rights Conventions and changing Environmental needs, and we will continue to build FREDERICK & SOPHIE on a deep respect for humanity, the environment and the principles of freedom, peace and Universal righteousness.
To pilot the cultivation of Egyptian Extra-Long Staple organic cotton and enhance sustainable cotton production, our Italian yarn producer and the Government of Egypt signed a landmark agreement on September 18, 2014. Social fairness towards farmers and all workers involved in the entire chain of cotton production are the cornerstone of the ‘Cotton for Life’ Initiative, guaranteeing that the cotton being produced is not only organic, but as well respectful of environmental and fair social standards.
HUMAN RIGHTS POLICY
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE is committed to create, design and manufacture high quality products without infringing human rights or harming the environment.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE seeks to only establish relationships with entities that share the same principles and values as the Obermeier Family, as written down in this policy.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE products are manufactured under conditions that demonstrate a deep respect for the people who make them and a deep respect for the environment.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE does not support nor contribute to the practice of producing clothing in developing countries (also called ‘cheap production countries’) as these countries do not share the Obermeier Family’s standards on fair wages/compensation, working hours, a healthy and safe working environment, and at this point as well can’t yet guarantee to be completely free of child/forced labor and/or human exploitation. FREDERICK & SOPHIE will only produce its products through a small group of strictly selected production ateliers that can be actively monitored and visited by the Obermeier Family.
- Manufacturing of FREDERICK & SOPHIE products will only be done in those cities that have earned their reputation in support, protection of – and respect for their skilled fashion artisans.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE is dedicated to working with – and constantly monitoring – those European yarn-, fabric – and clothing manufacturing partners who can demonstrate humane, environmental and safe working conditions, who carry the necessary ISO, Oeko-Tex and OHSAS certifications, herewith covering health, safety and sustainability in this important part of our production chain.
- The Obermeier Family is dedicated to constantly monitor and frequently visit all its business partners to ensure that the FREDERICK & SOPHIE supply chain does not cause any human rights infringements nor harms the environment.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE supports and promotes European Craftsmanship and deeply respects the skills of its artisans, and any individual working with or for the company, through fair wages, safe and healthy working conditions (including hours), support in further education.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE also promotes human rights awareness and respect along its value chain, including the adoption of legal contractual clauses. In the event of disrespect to human rights, duly proven by government authorities and mechanisms provided by legislation, we notify our supplier/partner or the retailer, so they may adopt corrective measures and, in cases in which such measures are not taken, we then will and are entitled to end the respective commercial relationship.
- All individuals working with – or for FREDERICK & SOPHIE shall be treated with the utmost dignity and in a work environment free of all forms of harassment, whether physical, verbal or psychological. Harassment can be any offensive act, comment or display that humiliates, insults or causes embarrassment, or any act of intimidation or threat.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE does not allow hazardous work conditions that jeopardize an individual’s physical and/or psychological health.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE recognizes the inherent right of a child to life, and adheres to to the principles established in the Convention on the Rights of the Child of the United Nations. The Obermeier Family encourages the quality education, creativity, health, safety and freedom of thought, speech and choice of young people. Therefore the company actively opposes to child labor and trafficking for forced labor. To contribute to the elimination of child labor, no individual under the age of eighteen years is employed by FREDERICK & SOPHIE or works within its supply and value chain, unless national or local law stipulates a higher mandatory school leaving or minimum working age, in which case the higher age shall apply.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE condemns all forms of exploitation of children. The Company does not recruit child labor, and supports the elimination of exploitative child labor. FREDERICK & SOPHIE also supports laws duly enacted to prevent and punish the crime of sexual exploitation of children and works only within countries whose national laws offer the utmost protection to children and whose school leaving and employment age are in accordance with … of The International Labour Organization’s (ILO) Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work. As written down in point 12 of this policy, the Obermeier Family deems the age of 18 appropriate to choose employment freely, and does not hire any individual under this age, unless national or local law stipulates a higher mandatory school leaving or minimum working age.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE will work to raise awareness concerning any child exploitation, and will cooperate with law enforcement authorities to address any such instances of exploitation of which the Company becomes aware.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE emphasizes freely chosen employment and ensures no forced, bonded or involuntary prison labor is used in the creation, manufacturing and marketing of FREDERICK & SOPHIE products.
- Overtime is voluntary and is not to be demanded on a regular basis. In exceptional periods of high demand, such as collection presentations, overtime does not exceed 12 hours per week, and is always being compensated at a premium rate.
- FREDERICK & SOPHIE respects each individual’s human rights and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, political opinion, nationality, social origin and status, indigenous status, disability, age or other status of individuals unrelated to the individual’s ability to perform work. We will be resolute in upholding human rights in everything we do and we will not tolerate such discrimination in others. Ignorance, fear and inaction do not constitute excuses for discrimination.